1. Go claim your blog domain name.
- Go to GoDaddy.com and buy it. It’s only a dollar something!
- If you haven’t done so already, and you have comments on your blog posts, they will be deleted once you change the domain name, so this is why i say to do it RIGHT AWAY! I was so sad when I lost all of my comments after months of blogging!
2. Don’t look at other blogs and get discouraged because you don’t think you have a nice blog design.
- Yes, blog design is one of the keys to a good blog, since it’s what will attract readers, and encourage them to keep coming back, but learning design and coding will take time. This is also where a lot of people decide to give up on blogging. I was like a little 5 year old walking onto a college campus when I first came into the blogging world. I looked at different bloggers pages and was amazed at their design. I didn’t understand how on earth they made it look like that, and had no idea how to make mine look just as nice!
- Just be patient. Watch YouTube tutorials. Read tutorials. And practice. I can’t even count how many times I changed my blog design once I began to figure things out.
- You can read some of my tutorials here, or even have me design your page!
3. Make sense, don’t post just to post.
- There have been quite a few times where I have read someone’s blog and I’m left wondering if the person has ever taken an English class. This could also be because I took a massive amount of writing classes in college, and my friends call me The Grammar Police, but there are very many obvious things that people should just know when it comes to writing… Like making sense! Honestly, sometimes people don’t even make sense. And I’m left asking, “do you even know what you’re saying?”
- But if you’d like a little refresher on some grammar, here you go:
4. Have a good “About Me” page. Everyone loves reading those!
- Here is mine for example. Not tooting my own horn, but compared to what my About page used to look like, this is 100 times better! lol
5. If your blog contains outfit posts, diy projects, beauty posts, recipes, etc. pin them to your Pinterest.
- A majority of my traffic comes from Pinterest.
- When I pinned the blog post of my apartment decor, I never thought I would gain so many views from it. I also received around 300 re-pins after pinning it, and I didn’t even have that many Pinterest followers to begin with!
6. Begin a Facebook Fan Page for your blog.
- This is something I should have done when I first started, but Instead waited until last week. lol
7. Post on Instagram
- Instagram is probably my favorite form of social media, and I’m sure it is to most people, so it’s a great way to promote your blog. It’s like giving your readers a way to view your blog “on the go.” Many fashion bloggers utilize this tool.
- Also, add the Instagram widget to your sidebar, (you can see on mine on the left) which will show a slideshow of your Instagram photos. If I’m on your blog, I’m more likely to follow you on Instagram if I can at least see the photos beforehand.
8. Post your blog post links on Twitter, and tag @FemaleBloggerRT
- They will retweet you to their 5,000+ followers
9. Share your posts on Google +
- Some people decide not to link their blogger account with their google account, and believe me, I didn’t want to either, because I hate Google +…. I just think the set up of it is very confusing. BUT whenever I share my posts on there, I receive a significant amount of views on that specific post than I would if I didn’t share.
10. Use good quality photos
- This is something I have read so many times, and it’s so true. I’m always drawn to good photography. Not that you have to have a fancy camera, but when taking photos for your blog, make sure your photo has good lighting.
- If it’s a sunny day, don’t stand directly in the sun, stand in the shade, and make sure the sun isn’t shining towards the camera. It should be facing you. (My personal opinion)
11. Comment on other Bloggers posts & comment back to those who comment on yours
- Go to a blog you follow, look through their “Google Friend Connect” widget (if they have one) and click through it to find new blogs. Then find a post you like, and comment! Also, leave a link to your URL at the end. There have been a few times where a blogger has commented asking me to check out there page, with no URL for me to click on, and even when I go to their Google + profile, there is still no link to their blog!
- This has brought me quite a few more followers, and I still do this weekly.
12. If you don’t have a Bloglovin account, go sign up
- Yet, another way to gain more followers
13. Blog as if it’s your job
- Many people are unaware that you can make money by blogging. But in order to make a significant amount of it, you will need a good following, which is why it’s important to use every social media tool you can to gain more readers! Not that you should drop everything and make this your full time job, but I think it’s a fun way to make extra money on the side.
- Blogging is like a totally different world than the one you live in, so don’t feel guilty for getting lost in it by trying to figure everything out, such as blog design, or creating good post.
- Questions on how to make money? go here.
- You can also post widgets at the end of outfit posts, where you get paid every time someone clicks on an item in the widget, and more when someone makes a purchase. You can try RewardStyle or ShopSense
14. Have some type of photo for every blog post
- Even if your post has nothing to do with a photo, you should still figure out a way to incorporate one. For example: I didn’t need to put that photo that I have at the beginning of this post, but I need to have a photo for the thumbnail photo in order to catch the readers eye.
- I’ll be pinning this post on Pinterest, and the photo I used above is the picture I will be pinning for it.
15. Link back to previous posts
- Notice how I linked my social media pages, and a few of my previous posts on here? Most of the time, readers will end up clicking the links after reading the current post.
*** A little extra tip: Start using Google Analytics ASAP. Don’t rely on blogger to show you how many views you get each day, because it’s not accurate. GA allows you to see absolutely everything, such as what cities people are from that have viewed your page, how long people stay on it, percentage of males/females that visit, etc. This will be important if you ever plan to join an affiliate program (Shops that send you outfits to promote on your blog) They will sometimes ask for a screen shot of your Google analytics, so get right on that because it only starts tracking your site traffic from the day you sign up, it won’t automatically know any previous traffic to your site.